Bachpan

When a senior of mine told me that the only place he hadn’t been driven out of yet, was Connot; I really didn’t think it was possible anyway; that is until the Mr. Arun of Arun store decided to do the honours. “Sheesha toot jaayega yaar!” a frustrated old man letting it off on a bunch of innocent children (read:3rd and 4th yearites), after we decided to go crazy with our crazy ball(the 10 buck thing that bounces madly?) in front of his shop.
It was a nice feeling. It reminded me of the days we used go down to ‘play’. Playing would involve being divided into teams for a game of cricket and then being selected by a captain to play in their team which would prove a privilege if you were selected first. (I was the youngest of the lot and was invariably selected last by an unfortunate captain). I would try to do my best to prove them wrong and yes, there were certain days I was declared the hero of the game (grin).This was in Calcutta (as it was called in those years during my 3rd standard). As I shifted to Mumbai, games changed to Badminton, cycling, Numero Uno (remember the cards game?) and an occasional ‘beech ka bandar’ or Dodge ball (I was quite good at that!).
At the end of 3rd year-1st sem, there are times I feel myself wishing 2nd year was here again, but the truth is, even deeper down, I wish I could still go down to ‘play’, that 2nd standard was here again!

Comments

Pranay Jain said…
It is a fact that more you move ahead in life, the more you are reminded of ur past and u tend to glorify it saying 'kya din the'

Nevertheless, well written; and u have fulfilled abhinandan's last wish on campus!!! :P
Sharanya said…
Or 6th standard, in my case.

:'(
Manisha said…
@Pranay: yes, it was Abhinandan i was talking about!

@Sharan: 6th standard was full of throw ball and kabaddi! and inspite of all my efforts...u rarely played!!

Popular posts from this blog

E-Prophecies

Music

The Morning after